Having Your Banns Read

The church building is currently closed. We are not permitted to conduct Weddings, Baptisms or Funerals in church until further notice. If you have questions about these services, or any other aspect of our church life, please get in touch and we will do our best to help. St Nicholas’ clergy are still available to conduct funeral services, but are only able to do so at the graveside or in the Crematorium, where the Government’s guidelines on numbers attending will need to be observed. Please see below for information about how to organise a Wedding under less unusual circumstances.

What Are Banns?
Before your wedding, your plans to marry will be announced in church during the main Sunday service. It’s an ancient practice which gives others the opportunity to object to a marriage on legal grounds.

Where Will My Banns Be Read?
Your Banns must be read out before your wedding in the parish where you live and also in the parish where you’re getting married, if that’s somewhere else. If you and your partner live in different parishes, Banns must be read in both.

  • If you’re getting married at St Nicholas’ Church and both live in the parish we will automatically arrange for your Banns to be read here. If you both live in the parish, you don’t need to do anything else.
  • If you’re getting married at St Nicholas’ Church but either/both of you live outside the parish, you must ensure that your Banns are also read in your Parish Church. This will need to be arranged with the vicar there. Our vicar will discuss this with you when you meet to talk over your wedding plans.
  • If you live in the parish but you’re getting married in a church elsewhere, you will need to arrange for your Banns to be read at St Nicholas’ Church. See “How Do I Arrange for My Banns to be Read?” below.

Why Are Banns Important?
Banns are a vital part of the legal side of marriage and it’s important that the correct procedure is followed.

When Will You Read Our Banns?
Banns are read on three Sundays during the three month period before your wedding. This happens during the Notices in our main Sunday service, at 10:00am. If you’d like to come along, we can provide you with the dates when your Banns will be read.

Do We Need to Hear Our Banns Being Read?
No, although many couples – and their families – like to come and hear their Banns read.

How Do I Know Which Parish I live in?
Enter your postcode on the A Church Near You site to find out which Parish you live in.

How Do I Arrange for My Banns to be Read?
If you live in the parish and you’re getting married in a church elsewhere, you’ll need to let us know so that we can read your Banns.

  1. Complete the Wedding Banns Application Form
    Download the Away Banns Application Form. Please complete the form and bring it along when you come for your ID check.
  • Visit the Parish Office
    You will both need to attend the Parish Office during opening hours (see below for details) so that we can check your ID. It’s best to make an appointment. During this visit you will need to:Return Your Form
    Bring your completed Wedding Banns Application form.

    Provide ID
    There are legal aspects to this process which mean you will both need to produce ID.

    • Proof of Identity
      Valid photo ID such as a passport or Driving Licence.
    • Proof of Address
      Such as a utility bill or bank statement.
  • Make a Payment
    There is a charge for these “Away Banns”, which includes the certificate. The fee is set centrally by the Church of England and currently stands at £43, which can be paid by BACS, cheque or cash.
  • The Banns Certificate
    When your Banns have been read, we will issue you with a Banns certificate which you will need to show to the Parish Priest who’s marrying you.