The twenty-first century is going to see significant changes at St. Nicholas.
The font has been moved to the middle of the North Aisle. A refreshment area has been built at the west end of the North Aisle. A new, silent modern heating system and a state of the art sound system have been installed, and the inner porch has been quadrupled in size, with the addition of new inner glass doors. These additions have greatly improved our comfort, both physical and audible. We have been able to have this work carried out because it was decided some years ago that we could no longer afford the upkeep of our church hall, known as the Blenkin Hall after Canon Frederick Blenkin. The hall had been built in the 1950's of reinforced concrete and would have cost too much to bring it up to an acceptable standard. The hall and land was sold to a developer and the proceeds of the sale, plus two large legacies, enabled the PCC to consider updating the church to carry it through the coming years for the benefit of future worshippers and the local community.
After many delays this work was completed at the beginning of 2013. The church now has a new extension, known as the St. Nicholas Centre, comprising modern facilities for meetings, administration and fellowship.